Join us for a full day three part tour combing exciting medieval culture with relaxing wine tasting and lunch in the province of Latina. The first part of the tour is a visit to the medieval town of Sermoneta, including a stop on the way to visit the 8th century Valvisciolo Abbey and the Cisternian monks. Sermoneta is a walled up hill town, built of stone and overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and was home to the Papal and feudal Annibaldi(first) and Caetani (then) families. This part of the tour includes a guided visit inside the almost 1000-year-old, massive Caetani Castle followed by a visit to the town’s 13th century Romanesque church.
The second part of this full day tour takes us to a local, organic winery where we will have a private tour and lunch. In the cantina and vineyards we will learn about the process of producing wine and the unique autochthonous grapes that are grown there. Next for a real ciociaria experience we will enjoy a lunch of local delicacies prepared specially for us and an opportunity to taste 5-6 different wines from the winery, all from the outdoor terrace (weather permitting) where we’ll be able to appreciate the unmatchable views of the vineyard, olive grove and the sea.
For the third portion of this tour, after lunch, we will explore the town of Cori, predating Rome and located in the heart of the Latin League. We will tour sites such as the 1st century BC Temple of Hercules, an Italian national monument, and/or (time permitting)
the Sanctuary of Madonna del Soccorso, the remains of the Temple of Castor and Pollux. Your guide will return you to Rome at the end of a culturally educational and fascinating tour.
- Visit two characteristic medieval towns of Cori and Sermoneta
- Ancient temples, medieval Fortress, abbey of Valvisciolo (weekends only)
- A visit to a local organic winery
- Guided Wine and Oil Tasting
- Lunch at a typical trattoria or at the winery
- Medieval history of Lazio, historical context
- Facts and tales around each of the highlights visited
- Particular attention paid to the emerging wine culture of Lazio and the promotion of local native grapes
- Tasting tips and wine knowledge combining a real cultural expierence
- A promise to have a dynamic, humorous, friendly and knowledgeable tour guide
- Private Tour : Transportation by private car, entrance fees, wine tasting and lunch included. Inquire here or at info [at] antiquatours [dot] com.
You may also like: